This is my very first completed vintage sewing pattern piece, and I’m so pleased with the way it turned out!
Disclaimer: some links may be affiliate links. I only recommend products I use and love.
The Back Story
There’s a thrift store near my house that always has the cutest vintage sewing patterns. I found this McCall’s skirt pattern, and immediately bought it…for 25 cents! When I got home, I was excited to try it out, but to my dismay, it was a vintage size 10, meaning the waist measurement was 25 inches. I had never sewn a vintage sewing pattern, so I was nervous to try and resize one on my first try.
After months of procrastination, I decided to take the plunge and try to make pattern A. I watched a few Youtube videos about resizing patterns, but I ultimately ended up roughly resizing it with a measuring tape and fabric marker because the pattern was only draw for one size, and that posed kind of a challenge. I figured since it was a loose fitting skirt, it would be more forgiving of any errors than a shirt or pants would be.
The fabric I used for this pattern was a rust red linen/rayon blend that I had bought forever ago, and I think it was the perfect weight for this skirt.
Sewing Techniques Used
The pattern was pretty simple a straight forward to follow, which was a relief because I’ve heard that vintage patterns can be really confusing to follow.
- I learned how to sew pockets, yay! Also, this was a win in general because I love skirts and dresses that have functional pockets.
- Gathering in the front and the back of the skirt to make it all nice and ruffly
- This was the first time that I used the buttonhole function on my sewing machine, which turned out to be really fun and pretty easy to do!
- The waistband needed to be hand-hemmed, which I think adds a nice handmade touch to the garment.
- I had some vintage buttons that I had thrifted (shocker!). They are gold colored with some kind of intricate design on them, and I thought they contrasted well with the color of the skirt.
- The waistband required some interfacing, so I just used Pellon Iron On Interfacing.
This skirt is definitely not perfect, but I’m really proud of how it turned out. I can’t wait to continue to make more clothes! I’m hoping to have a good amount of handmade basics in my wardrobe soon.
I hope you enjoyed seeing the finished product! Let me know what you’re working on, and if you have any pattern recommendations. I’ve really been on a sewing kick lately.
If you’d like to read more, here are some other blog posts I’ve written about sewing.
Pin it for later.