<< Back To All Embroidery Stitches
The split stitch is a type of embroidery outline stitch that forms a thin line. It is great for outlining shapes and letters and is super simple to do!
Split Stitch Step By Step
- Make one straight stitch at A.
- Go up through the center of the stitch you just made at B.
- Skip ahead and make another straight stitch at C.
- Repeat desired length.
- Make sure each stitch is the same length.
- Use an even number of strands of thread
- To create a smooth line along curves, shorten up the stitch length
Amanda is a hand embroidery artist and teacher. With over 15 years of experience in the craft industry and embroidery, she owns and runs Crewel Ghoul, sharing tutorials and patterns to help inspire fellow crafters to get inspired and creative. In addition to running this website, she teaches on Skillshare and Youtube.