The turkey work stitch is my absolute favorite embroidery stitch because it’s relatively simple to learn but adds so much texture to any embroidery piece. This stitch is fuzzy and is very similar to the stitches made with rug hooking.
How To Do The Turkey Work Stitch
- Go down through the fabric and leave a tail.
- Come up directly to the left of the stitch you just made.
- Go down through the fabric directly to the right of the stitch.
- Come up through the fabric through the same hole the very first stitch was made.
- Repeat the process, this time leaving a loop.
When you are finished, you will have two tails and a bunch of loops of thread. Trim the tails/loops to the desired height.
Ways to Use The Turkey Work Stitch
Here are two embroidery patterns I have created that use this fun embroidery stitch.